From: Peter Weber <peterle@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:19:13
1 Hello,
2
3 I now that Chris Gianelloni loves his LiveCD an the GUI-Installer and I
4 know that he don't like to accept changes he don't support personally.
5 But I do that know, so please don't kill me:
6
7 Gentoo should have again an Universal-CD again, because:
8
9 * Support for network/networkless-installation on one release-media
10 * More flexibility as with Minimal-CD and LiveCD
11 * Compared with LiveCD the footprint is generally small (necessary
12 hardware, size of image)
13 * Offers the classic full "Shell-Installation" who is loved by the
14 gentoo-community (no voodoo-scripts, included stage3 and sources for the
15 most important packages like vanilla-sources and bootloaders)
16 * Could also offer a Ncurses-Installer and requires only some MB of
17 space on the disk (without X11, Gnome, OpenOffice)
18 * One consistent-installation way for all platforms (only x86/x86_64
19 doesn't offer it currently)
20 * Debian and Ubuntu (with its alternate-cd) offers currently more
21 flexible solutions than Gentoo! Hey, who is here the meta-distribution?
22 * There are currently unoffical Universal-CD avaiable, we don't need
23 much work to prepare: http://download.libexec.de/ting/2007.0/
24
25 Thanks to dertobi for the great work ;-)
26 Maybe he can support you with necessary and up-to-date catalyst files.
27
28 Please don't put this suggestion to your trash can, because you
29 personally don't need or want it. The Univeral-CD is and was always a
30 great installation-media, and it was simple.
31
32 This is no suggestion against the LiveCD or the Installer!
33
34 Thanks
35 Peter Weber