From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] catalyst livecds
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 02:55:22
1 Hi,
2
3 Could anyone get me some docs on how catalyst functions wrt. livecd
4 creation? I'm interested in the following aspects:
5
6 - How do catalyst and genkernel interact?
7 - What exactly do the different livecd stages do?
8 - Is it possible to specify on a per-arch basis what gets zapmosted
9 (thinking in terms of both the current ppc and old x86 scripts)? For
10 instance, what happens to non-x86 keymaps on a ppc livecd.
11 - How do I create the actual livecd? Is there some kind of scripting
12 that puts grp, stages, sources, initrd, kernel, bootloader, ... all on
13 the disc the livecd tool should produce?
14
15 I heard x86 was going to consider a one disc release containing both
16 some GRP and a working X for fosdem. Is this the new official format?
17 Am I allowed to use catalyst only for grp and stages for a fosdem
18 release and use my current livecd script to create the actual discs?
19
20 Is it possible to get an update on catalyst and genkernel progress in
21 general? Is there a possibility ppc64 could integrate ppc32 livecd
22 support into catalyst? If I'm not mistaken brad_mssw is closely related
23 to both ppc64, catalyst, genkernel and even amd64 for which already
24 livecds have been created using catalyst. I guess this would speed up
25 development enourmeously. This brings me to another question:
26
27 Is it possible for releng to be more verbose regarding what the
28 developers they gave access to their infrastructure for powerpc work
29 are actually working on? Wouldn't it be a good idea to create some
30 guidelines or policies about interaction between projects? I think some
31 current ppc subprojects (such as the QA projects) have guidelines about
32 things like masking packages stable, I think those need to be
33 communicated in an effective way to the developers now doing powerpc
34 work. While I was looking at catalyst I detected some packages which
35 were marked stable on ppc, but will never work on ppc (bootsplash was
36 one of them: ofb does not allow bootsplash to be used afaik.).
37
38 Pieter
42 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list