From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 22:05:41
Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> Markus Hauschild wrote: >> On Feb 4, 2008 10:47 PM, Peter Weber <peterle@×××××××××××××.org> wrote: >>>> The LiveDVD includes stages and a snapshot. >>> Interesting and good, but the LiveDVD is, let us say the truth - >>> overkill. >>> >>> A other good solution would be merging Universal and Minimal-CD >>> togehter, so we offer only a smaller Universal-CD (about 200-400 MB) >>> and >>> a complete LiveCD (about 700 MB). >> >> I'd love a minimal + stage3 + portage-snapshot + stuff you really need >> (kernel sources, grub, maybe a syslogger) >> But I guess I'd have to make that one myself then (and then its not >> worth the effort) > > That doesn't even make sense. A universal CD is nothing but a minimal > plus some stuff. You can't merge them together, unless you're talking > about getting rid of the minimal all together, and then that's even > dumber. >
I would also like to add that some of us can't download like others. I, for example, am on dial-up and a sucky one at that. I have to order most everything because it would take me a week or longer to download about any CD. I don't even want to think if I had to boot from the 2007 CD and install from scratch. Typing in the commands, no problem at all. Waiting to download all the packages, HUGE problem. I love options and Gentoo has a lot of them. I would also like to have options available just in case the unthinkable happens. I would most likely install Mandrake, old version that I still have, and then install Gentoo from there. Anyone gave this any thought? There are still a LOT of dial-up users out here. People seem to forget that, especially the website with all the huge pages. My Space comes to mind on that. Just a thought. Dale :-) :-) -- gentoo-releng@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD Peter Weber <peterle@×××××××××××××.org>