From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] So when is it really safe to take a snapshot to use for release?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:49:51
1 Jason Wever wrote:
2 > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:02:33 -0500
3 > "John Davis" <zhen@g.o> wrote:
6 >>I disagree - a snapshot is not a freeze in the same way that our old
7 >>release policy called for. Although you can do what you are saying
8 >>(versions, etc), the tree itself never freezes. Gentoo is a fluid
9 >>distribution.
12 > I understand that Gentoo is a fluid distribution, but how can you provide
13 > quality QA on a set of packages if they are constantly changing,
14 > particularly when trying to build binary sets for distribution?
15 >
16 > In order to do proper QA, there is going to have to be some stagnation
17 > between the snapshot and the live portage tree (1.5 to 3 weeks for build
18 > time and proper QA for a given arch). Other than the critical or security
19 > related bug fixes, what are we going to be using as the demarcation for
20 > updating packages in the snapshot, and how will we be ensuring that all
21 > arches are using the same versions of programs (where applicable)?
22 >
23 We could add a "tinderbox" targed that will try to run in chroot a full
24 automated setup (a la glis) from the latest stage {1 2 3}+grp and then
25 have a testsuite running on it.
26 It won't be a full QA check but at least the minimum needed.
29 Luca Barbato
30 Developer
31 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
36 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list