From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86 GRP
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:42:41
1 Hi all -
2 Thanks for the discussion, I will try to hit on all of the major points
3 ;)
4
5 It seems that the general consensus is to keep i686 and x86 if we do in
6 fact decide to drop some other subarches. Am I right in saying that?
7
8 Although I see where you all are coming from with regard to the minimal
9 GRP set, I would rather that we just stick to a monolithic GRP set for a
10 couple of reasons. One (big) reason is that GRP not only accomodates
11 rapid installs through reducing application install time, but it also
12 enables networkless machines to install a full gambit of common apps. A
13 user could have a dual processor P4 HT with 3 GB of ram, which would
14 compile mozilla in about 20 mins, but if they don't have a net
15 connection at install time, they are SOL. Also, do we really need to be
16 maintaining two sets of GRP? I would rather focus our efforts on LiveCDs
17 and other future projects, such as X LiveCDs, GameCDs, etc.
18
19 When I first made my decision about GameCDs, I was rather naive ;) There
20 really is no reason that they should provide install functionality
21 outside of basic hardware detection. Chris and Livewire are right - it
22 is a waste of space otherwise. At some point, I would like to make
23 GameCDs a full blown releng sub-project, provided that we have the
24 manpower to run with it. First priority though is to stabilize our
25 release media.
26
27 Cheers,
28 //zhen
29 --
30 John Davis
31 Gentoo Linux Developer
32 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen>
33
34 ----
35 GnuPG Public Key: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~zhen/zhen_pub.asc>
36 Fingerprint: 2364 71BD 4BC2 705D F338 FF70 6650 1235 1946 2D47