From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature request for 2008.0
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 00:53:54
1 On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 21:49 +0100, Kamil Górnik wrote:
2 > I suffer lack of vi (vim) on stage3 since ever. It's not a big binary
3 > and still there are those who prefer vi to nano.
4
5 This will likely never change, sorry.
6
7 > Every time I install gentoo the first time I need to do after setting up
8 > the system is emerging vi before emerge -Du world.
9
10 ...and the first step an emacs user has to do is emerge emacs... and...
11
12 We simply cannot win here. No matter what, we'll have people who
13 complain. Both emacs and vi are too "complex" for new users, and having
14 a text editor that is hard to use when first learning a new system is
15 simply too much to ask. You know that you need vim, so just merge it.
16
17 Personally, I'd rather force vi and be done with it since it's listed in
18 the POSIX standard, but I'm also a vim user, so I have a pretty clear
19 bias. This is exactly why you'll always see vim on the minimal CD, even
20 though it isn't "required" for installation.
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
25 Games Developer