From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] So when is it really safe to take a snapshot to use for release?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:19:35
1 On 12 Jan 2004, at 17:39, Jason Wever wrote:
2
3 >> Baselayout changes are essential if we want to have working LiveCDs.
4 >
5 > However, coming into the last 1.5 weeks or so before release without
6 > our
7 > build tools being fully functional, having to finish writing them, QA
8 > them as well as the release seems like a rather large and daunting
9 > task to
10 > try to adequately do in the timeframe provided, regardless of which
11 > arch
12 > you are on.
13
14 I agree, it will be very hard to release QA'ed livecds on ppc in time
15 for LWE. But I don't really mind being late this time because the delay
16 is caused by the design and implementation of a fantastic multi-arch
17 tool that will enlarge chances for more/better gentoo releases on all
18 platforms/architectures.
19
20 >> The purpose of the original release date was to meet LWE, but as it
21 >> has
22 >> been mentioned before, it is not crucial to release on that date (the
23 >> 22nd). Gentoo is fluid, and so are our releases. Release when you can,
24 >> just try to be as close to the 22nd as you can be. Dates are not as
25 >> important as QA.
26 >
27 > Why can't we have one unified release date for all architectures,
28 > rather
29 > than one or two at a time?
30
31 More architectures will be able to release at the same time when the
32 tool is finished.
33
34 >> Your assesment is unfair. Our goal, as well as yours, is to provide
35 >> excellent QA. If openssl and baselayout need bumped to fix security
36 >> bugs
37 >> and CDBOOT problems, fine; we cannot release something that is broken.
38 >> The issue at hand has absolutely nothing to do with being a non-x86
39 >> arch. I am sorry that it takes so long to build, but as I have said,
40 >> release when you can. No one has got you in a chokehold to release on
41 >> the 22nd. If you release on the 29th, I do not care. What I do care
42 >> about is QA. Make sure your release is tested, which I am sure you
43 >> will
44 >> do.
45 >
46 > Then somewhere we need a release TODO list, that shows each task that
47 > needs to be completed and what it's current status is. This will
48 > allow us
49 > all to make better and more informed decisions.
50 >
51 > I'm not trying to be overly ornery here, I'm just trying to do the best
52 > job I can.
53
54 I think releng is being quite verbose about catalyst etc. I believe
55 they underestimated the time needed to make the release this time, but
56 again; once finished it will rock :-) and releases will be made more
57 unified and less time will be lost on reinventing the wheel on
58 alternative architectures.
59
60 Pieter
64 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list