From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@g.o
Cc: drobbins@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] livecd problems
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:51:34
1 Think there's something we need to workout with the livecd
2 stuff, that I really have no clue on. I use the old scripts
3 to build a livecd, with a new stage3, and I consistently get
4 a PAM error before mingetty tries to auto-login, which totally
5 prevents logging in, so there is absolutely no way to really
6 debug this. Using a stage3 from 1106, this problem does not
7 exist. Looking back in CVS, pam nor pam-login versions have
8 changed, the only thing that has changed seems to be shadow,
9 versions, which old versions have been taken out of CVS.
10
11 So anyhow, I compiled all 3 stages with USE="-pam" via the
12 make defaults, and it still gave a PAM error, which is
13 frustrating. Anyhow, I'm thinking there is a bug in
14 shadow, unless anyone else can think of any other packages
15 I need to check.
16
17 This is on amd64, and I need to know if anyone else has seen
18 similar on other arches, as I can't imagine this would
19 be amd64-specific, especially since it previously worked.
20 Like I said, shadow seems very suspicious because of around the
21 time it changed. Also, around 11/29 I had the same issue,
22 but didn't have time to troubleshoot, so somewhere between
23 11/06 and 11/29 something changed for the worse there, and
24 I do not know enough about how the login process works to
25 really debug it.
26
27 Help is very much appreciated.
28