From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@g.o
Cc: drobbins@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] livecd problems
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:51:34
Think there's something we need to workout with the livecd
stuff, that I really have no clue on.  I use the old scripts
to build a livecd, with a new stage3, and I consistently get
a PAM error before mingetty tries to auto-login, which totally
prevents logging in, so there is absolutely no way to really
debug this.  Using a stage3 from 1106, this problem does not
exist.  Looking back in CVS, pam nor pam-login versions have
changed, the only thing that has changed seems to be shadow,
versions, which old versions have been taken out of CVS.

So anyhow, I compiled all 3 stages with USE="-pam" via the
make defaults, and it still gave a PAM error, which is
frustrating.  Anyhow, I'm thinking there is a bug in
shadow, unless anyone else can think of any other packages
I need to check.

This is on amd64, and I need to know if anyone else has seen
similar on other arches, as I can't imagine this would
be amd64-specific, especially since it previously worked.
Like I said, shadow seems very suspicious because of around the
time it changed.  Also, around 11/29 I had the same issue,
but didn't have time to troubleshoot, so somewhere between
11/06 and 11/29 something changed for the worse there, and
I do not know enough about how the login process works to
really debug it.

Help is very much appreciated.

-Brad House