From: Derek Tracy <tracyde@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] DVD Releases for 2007.0
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:14:52
On 10/18/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@×××××××.net> wrote:
> > Chris Gianelloni wrote: > > As you can probably guess, I'd definitely like to continue the DVD media > > for the 2007.0 release. > > > > This is the list from the livecd-stage1 spec file for the current DVD. > > > [snip] > > > What additional packages would we like to have on the LiveDVD? I have > > no problem adding things like compiz, but they will *only* be usable for > > people with cards supported entirely by open source drivers. > > 1. How big can the total get? How big is it now? Is it half full? 2/3? > 3/4? > > 2. Is there any information about what *Gentoo* users, to be > distinguished from the overall Linux user base, do with their systems > that would guide the packages into "themes", such as science, > multimedia, network security, office, programming languages, web > applications/servers, etc.? > > 3. Could there be more than one, with "themed" DVDs like multimedia or > science only available for a nominal price from the store? Something > like RHEL -- the source is freely available on line as required by the > GPL and someone like CentOS could come along and remaster, but people > who wanted the convenience of downloading an ISO would pay, say, $10 or > $20 to support Gentoo. > > > In the absence of themes, I'd just say "more programming languages, > Rails and more Ruby stuff, more multimedia, more science, more network > tools, ..." That's what I use -- everything I have on my systems would > easily fit on a LiveDVD, but I could go ahead and build my own with > Catalyst. > -- > gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list > >
The idea of themes IMHO go against the basis of Gentoo, they take away the ability to customize and have a system with exactly what you want on it, if you want to create your own custom build go through the GUI installer and save the settings for later use (I believe that I saw that option in there when I tested it out) that way you can customize your install and not have to worry about it again (in case you are rolling out a build for enterprise use). As far as the LiveDVD goes, just keep it light on RAM when the system is up and running to allow more systems to use it. My 2cents. -- --------------------------------- Derek Tracy tracyde@×××××.com ---------------------------------

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] DVD Releases for 2007.0 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>