From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] livecd support (mostly) done
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:47:49
Daniel Robbins wrote:

> But right now I am getting held up by a kernel bug. I can mount a > loopback fs, and try to copy files to it. I get a "no space left on > device." I can then repeat the exact same cp command, and a few seconds > later it works. Seems to be some weird synchronization bug in the > kernel. I'm using gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.0 and I'm wondering if anyone > has experienced anything similar. This is on amd64 but the loopback code > in the kernel should be arch-independent.
Might help to prune /dev a little. I spent a good while wiping out the contents of /dev after creating generic-mips entries for the mips netboot. Things like six different pty*, ttyS* (or tty* in general), and other things like midi entries, etc.. really aren't needed (unless anyone plans on composing some midi tunes on a livecd while the install goes forth). Cut about /dev 1000+ entries down to around ~250 (or a close approximation of such). That might help skirt around the lack of space issue some. All in all, I created an ext2 fs w/ only 1500 inodes for the netboot and had no problems, although for a livecd, I know this will not be sufficient. I also used 4k blocksizes in the netboot. It seemed to have allowed the filesystem to take up a little bit less space than using the standard 1k block size (saved 200-300KB), although I don't know if this would have any impact either on the problem your having. It was mainly and experiment. --Kumba -- "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list