From: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
To: davisjp@×××.edu
Cc: zhen@g.o, brad_mssw@g.o, gentoo-releng@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Updates, reminders, etc
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:28:00
> Cool - I can bother the PPC folks too, pvdabeel handles that project, > correct? Do they have their own default config yet, or do they need to > create one?
nope, no default config yet. They should be able to copy the x86 config directory, and make some small changes, like copying over the proper kernel config, and making sure they use the right command in the to build the kernel.
> > Good - anything I can do to assist?
well, once the combined source is committed, we can use some testing, but I think it's mostly under control except for that ;)
> > | Also I have an internal genkernel version that utilizes less > | space by making use of devfs and devfsd internally for dev nodes | > which reduces overhead by about 650k in the filesystem for the > | inodes it would have to create on a MAKEDEV generic-i386. I should | > be able to commit this over the weekend. > | > > Is this just x86 specific?
nope. Actually, it has to do more with other arches that care how large the initrd is. For x86 it really doesn't do much more than save some space and memory. But sparc's initrd can't be more than 1.5MB compressed if they have a max 3.5MB kernel, so that's the main reason for the attempt at size shrinkage.
> If need be, create a snap and mail -dev. Usually they have a good test > response ... I have had luck w/ that avenue before.
not a bad idea... I may actually commit a genkernel-3.0.ebuild with the arches set to -* and whoever wants to test can just emerge that ebuild, since it will end up in there eventually anyhow. Then submit that to -dev. Thoughts on that approach?