From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] AMD64 dual-core testing on 2007.0?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 19:39:29
Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 10:25 +1000, Paul de Vrieze wrote: > >> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote: >> >>> I can't tell yet whether it's hardware or software, but I'm guessing the >>> kernel at this point rather than hardware -- I have some >>> /var/log/messages traces that don't look like hardware. Once I get a >>> stable OS, I'll load Gentoo from it and do the real debugging. The >>> 2.4.20 kernel in Gentoo stable has to be better that the 2.4.18s the >>> other distros seem to be carrying. >>> >> What I find to be a cause of a lot of stability issues. Probably even >> more so on multiprocessor/core systems is preemption. Voluntary >> preemption is OK, but other preemption still seems to be a bit flaky at >> places. >> > > Umm... What? > > I use preemption all the time on all of my machines, which are *all* > multi-processor or multi-core. The kernel preemption works just fine on > all of them. What tends to be the problem is shoddy APIC or ACPI > implementations on the cheaper (read, not server/workstation class) > motherboards. > >
I'm still testing some things, but there are some bugs in the NVidia "sata_nv" part of the AMD64 Linux kernel that have showed up in the Debian bug archives. Apparently it worked in older kernels and got broken "recently". I haven't found any differences with or without either pre-emption, SMP vs. UP, ACPI or APIC. The only thing I've found so far is that 32-bit kernels seem to work and 64-bit ones don't. At the moment I've only got a gigabyte of RAM in the machine so I'm not losing a heck of a lot by running a 32-bit kernel. :) -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] AMD64 dual-core testing on 2007.0? Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-releng] AMD64 dual-core testing on 2007.0? Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>