From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] AMD64 dual-core testing on 2007.0?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 19:39:29
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 10:25 +1000, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 >
4 >> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I can't tell yet whether it's hardware or software, but I'm guessing the
7 >>> kernel at this point rather than hardware -- I have some
8 >>> /var/log/messages traces that don't look like hardware. Once I get a
9 >>> stable OS, I'll load Gentoo from it and do the real debugging. The
10 >>> 2.4.20 kernel in Gentoo stable has to be better that the 2.4.18s the
11 >>> other distros seem to be carrying.
12 >>>
13 >> What I find to be a cause of a lot of stability issues. Probably even
14 >> more so on multiprocessor/core systems is preemption. Voluntary
15 >> preemption is OK, but other preemption still seems to be a bit flaky at
16 >> places.
19 > Umm... What?
20 >
21 > I use preemption all the time on all of my machines, which are *all*
22 > multi-processor or multi-core. The kernel preemption works just fine on
23 > all of them. What tends to be the problem is shoddy APIC or ACPI
24 > implementations on the cheaper (read, not server/workstation class)
25 > motherboards.
28 I'm still testing some things, but there are some bugs in the NVidia
29 "sata_nv" part of the AMD64 Linux kernel that have showed up in the
30 Debian bug archives. Apparently it worked in older kernels and got
31 broken "recently". I haven't found any differences with or without
32 either pre-emption, SMP vs. UP, ACPI or APIC. The only thing I've found
33 so far is that 32-bit kernels seem to work and 64-bit ones don't. At the
34 moment I've only got a gigabyte of RAM in the machine so I'm not losing
35 a heck of a lot by running a 32-bit kernel. :)
36 --
37 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list