From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] So when is it really safe to take a snapshot to use for release?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:52:55
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:59:03 -0500
"John Davis" <zhen@g.o> wrote:

> The openssl fix was both. The current version of openssl has TEXTREL > (static text relocations, compile w/ -fPIC to fix) in it, completely > negating the affects of hardening measures such as PaX (Address Space > Layout Randomisation). Even when not taking hardened into account, > TEXTREL is just not a good thing to have in .so's (see Debian's > development policy - they specifically disallow TEXTREL in shared > libraries).
Is there a Gentoo bug or GLSA to track this then? In the future can we have issues like this brought up sooner?
> Baselayout changes are essential if we want to have working LiveCDs.
However, coming into the last 1.5 weeks or so before release without our build tools being fully functional, having to finish writing them, QA them as well as the release seems like a rather large and daunting task to try to adequately do in the timeframe provided, regardless of which arch you are on.
> The purpose of the original release date was to meet LWE, but as it has > been mentioned before, it is not crucial to release on that date (the > 22nd). Gentoo is fluid, and so are our releases. Release when you can, > just try to be as close to the 22nd as you can be. Dates are not as > important as QA.
Why can't we have one unified release date for all architectures, rather than one or two at a time?
> Your assesment is unfair. Our goal, as well as yours, is to provide > excellent QA. If openssl and baselayout need bumped to fix security bugs > and CDBOOT problems, fine; we cannot release something that is broken. > The issue at hand has absolutely nothing to do with being a non-x86 > arch. I am sorry that it takes so long to build, but as I have said, > release when you can. No one has got you in a chokehold to release on > the 22nd. If you release on the 29th, I do not care. What I do care > about is QA. Make sure your release is tested, which I am sure you will > do.
Then somewhere we need a release TODO list, that shows each task that needs to be completed and what it's current status is. This will allow us all to make better and more informed decisions. I'm not trying to be overly ornery here, I'm just trying to do the best job I can. -- Jason Wever Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead