From: pvdabeel <pvdabeel@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] keymaps issue
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:30:02
1 Hi,
2
3 I have some wierd keyboard requirements (azerty mac keyboards), and there was a question
4 about keymaps relation to genkernel earlier on this list. I'd like to make the following
5 suggestion:
6
7 The ppc bootloader (yaboot) does not have an F1 option that displays help on the boot
8 options. There are some constraints on what we're able to display on boot. The matter
9 gets worse for oldworld systems, which use the bootx bootloader. From what I've heard
10 that bootloader needs to be compiled with the correct bootoptions, because apparently
11 it is difficult to set the correct ones when needed.
12
13 Also, there are a number of keymaps (ppc could use adb keymaps, if kernel supports it),
14 or regular x86 keymaps, so I'd adice for an app-livecd/keymapselector app rather than
15 to pass options through the kernel only. The keymapselector could for instance display
16 a menu when no kernel keymap variable is passed. I still have such a program, I used it
17 in combination with the old cursingcow installer. I think it would complicate the
18 initrd if this got added there rather than in the live environment.
19
20 Note that ppc currently uses only two boot options: live and live-safe.
21
22 live-safe is identical to live, apart from the framebuffer device used. live-safe uses
23 the openfirmware framebuffer.
24
25 I'm not sure what configurations syntax catalyst currently uses to install stuff in a
26 runlevel. But that will become clear sooner or later I hope.
27
28 Pieter
31 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list