From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2007.0 snapshot tracker restricted?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:49:44
On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 12:58 -0500, Yuri Gagarin wrote:
> Aren't Gentoo releases, such as 2007.0, a "gold seal" so to speak, > denoting increased stability and QA scrutiny when compared with any > randomly chosen Gentoo snapshot? This is the assumption behind my > desire to base my deployment on the 2007.0 release, and it appears to > be supported by the following claim on Release Engineering's project > page:
Uhh... no. Gentoo releases are media refreshes, and nothing more. All it means is that the packages that we build are tested to build and work together in the default configuration.
> meaningful is the "gold seal" signified by that release.) Furthermore, > because any issues currently holding back the 2007.0 "gold seal" are > hidden from users by the restricted release tracker bug, I have no way > to make an informed decision of whether or not to take my chances.
It doesn't matter. More than 90% of the things needed aren't even tracked on the tracker. We simply don't bother filing bugs for things we already know about or things that are internal to our build process. Again, having access to the tracker really won't gain you anything, especially considering the snapshot was taken some time ago.
> > If this is really something that would cause you to go to another > > distribution over, there's not much that we can do about it and it is > > likely that you might not be happy with Gentoo, anyway. > > I've been administering Gentoo systems happily for several years. > Please don't dismiss my expectations; I believe they're reasonable > given Release Engineering's stated goals.
I believe your idea of what goes on in Release Engineering is quite flawed. Again, we only test the packages that we ship on the GRP/LiveCD and only in the default configuration. Anything beyond that is completely up to the maintainers, just as if you had done a normal sync. Release Engineering is concerned with the quality of the media itself, not of the tree as a whole. What do you gain by waiting for a release/release snapshot? - Knowing that GNOME/KDE/XFCE/etc build/run with default USE - Knowing the stages build from stage1 with the default USE That's really all you gain. We make absolutely no assurances to the quality of any packages beyond default USE, or beyond the shipped package list. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering Strategic Lead Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee Gentoo Foundation

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-releng] 2007.0 snapshot tracker restricted? Yuri Gagarin <zthg4821@×××××.com>