From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: mips@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.0 Reminders
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 06:08:38
John Davis wrote:

> Hi all: > Just some friendly reminders: > > - -If you have not already, please get your kernel .configs for both 2.4 > and 2.6 (if possible) to drobbins and brad_mssw *IMMEDIATELY*. We need > those .configs to make livecds.
I'll try to get some configs for R4x00 and R5000-based SGI Machines for 2.4 shortly (Likely the config I used for the netboot). 2.6 is a no-go on SGI Indigo2/Indy machines because of some ugly serial-layer issues. When they will get fixed is unknown. 2.6 on other machines, namely the SGI O2, is still "experimental" and likely won't be ready for release for awhile. Cobalt support is still shaky, and will probably gain unannounced support in a short time. Still some annoying issues kernel side to be dealt with before it can be considered fully functional (R5K Cache, Tulip, bootloader).
> - -A release note template + a beta release notes creation tool is in CVS > at gentoo/src/relnotes. Start to get those release notes in order. > Remember, you cannot release until releng has a finalized version of > your arch's release notes.
Have to read into this and see what's launchable for mips around or shortly after launch time.
> - -Test week starts the 7th. We are still on track to make 2004.0 by the > 22nd, so start thinking about snapping the portage tree and getting your > testing started. Check the releng page for all essential parts that are > needed to constitute a release (portage snap, relnotes, stages, grp, etc).
tuxus is doing grp stuff, so I'm not sure where he is on that. I'm fighting catalyst and associated packages to get stages made, but it's dog slow and likely will take several more days before I get anything remotely concrete made. (I'm either going to kill glibc, or it's going to run me over with a tank). LiveCDs remain an unknown variable. From what I know, SGI Machines cannot boot standard ISO9660-based CDs. I believe (but I am not fully sure on this) that a CD needs to be partitioned up and formatted with an EFS filesystem much in the same way an IRIX disk is. Until I learn more, we may not have a LiveCD ready by release time. I guess you could say the Netboots should be considered the "LiveCD" for now.