From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Cc: mips@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2004.0 Reminders
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 06:08:38
1 John Davis wrote:
2
3 > Hi all:
4 > Just some friendly reminders:
5 >
6 > - -If you have not already, please get your kernel .configs for both 2.4
7 > and 2.6 (if possible) to drobbins and brad_mssw *IMMEDIATELY*. We need
8 > those .configs to make livecds.
9
10 I'll try to get some configs for R4x00 and R5000-based SGI Machines for
11 2.4 shortly (Likely the config I used for the netboot).
12
13 2.6 is a no-go on SGI Indigo2/Indy machines because of some ugly
14 serial-layer issues. When they will get fixed is unknown. 2.6 on other
15 machines, namely the SGI O2, is still "experimental" and likely won't be
16 ready for release for awhile.
17
18 Cobalt support is still shaky, and will probably gain unannounced
19 support in a short time. Still some annoying issues kernel side to be
20 dealt with before it can be considered fully functional (R5K Cache,
21 Tulip, bootloader).
24 > - -A release note template + a beta release notes creation tool is in CVS
25 > at gentoo/src/relnotes. Start to get those release notes in order.
26 > Remember, you cannot release until releng has a finalized version of
27 > your arch's release notes.
28
29 Have to read into this and see what's launchable for mips around or
30 shortly after launch time.
33 > - -Test week starts the 7th. We are still on track to make 2004.0 by the
34 > 22nd, so start thinking about snapping the portage tree and getting your
35 > testing started. Check the releng page for all essential parts that are
36 > needed to constitute a release (portage snap, relnotes, stages, grp, etc).
37
38 tuxus is doing grp stuff, so I'm not sure where he is on that. I'm
39 fighting catalyst and associated packages to get stages made, but it's
40 dog slow and likely will take several more days before I get anything
41 remotely concrete made. (I'm either going to kill glibc, or it's going
42 to run me over with a tank).
43
44 LiveCDs remain an unknown variable. From what I know, SGI Machines
45 cannot boot standard ISO9660-based CDs. I believe (but I am not fully
46 sure on this) that a CD needs to be partitioned up and formatted with an
47 EFS filesystem much in the same way an IRIX disk is. Until I learn
48 more, we may not have a LiveCD ready by release time. I guess you could
49 say the Netboots should be considered the "LiveCD" for now.
53 > - -Arch leads, please mail me a status report on how things are going.
54 >
55 > If you have any further questions, please feel free to drop me a line.
56
57 Consider this a status report for now :)
60 --Kumba
63 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:
64 small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are
65 elsewhere." --Elrond
69 gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list