From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] 2008.0 livecd release feature-request
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 17:07:07
On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 10:12 +0100, Matthew wrote:
> I don't know if it's even possible but: can the next livecd release > please include reiser4-support?
It isn't in gentoo-sources, so no.
> given its current state (it's pretty stable, all maior problems / > flaws should be fixed) and there's already a 2.6.24-patch it should be > not a big deal to include it
It isn't in the mainline kernel, which means it isn't in the kernels we use for our release. As such, the missing support is a kernel issue which needs to be taken up with Linus and his gang. ;]
> since gentoo is about choice, speed, stability -> individuality :)
No, Gentoo is about *empowerment* and you're more than empowered to grab our specs and make your own CD/DVD/whatever with whatever programs and sources that you want on it. There's nothing stopping you and we've provided you with all of the tools that you would need to do so. Remember, *we* don't have to do/support something for it to be possible. That's the idea behind empowerment. We give you the power to do what you want. We're not about "choice" or we'd have to include every single crazy idea anyone ever had, even if it was a failure, simply because it offered "choices" to our users. Nope, we're about empowerment. We empower you to do as you wish. At the same time, we're empowered to only support what we deem worthy of our support. Things outside the mainline kernel are normally considered unworthy by us.
> that would surely be a nice step forward, reiser4progs is already in > the portage-tree, so it would be also great to have a kernel with > reiser4-support (you could mark it *warning! only for experienced > users ;) * / mask it)
I could add the reiser4progs easily enough, but kernel support would be lacking due to the reasons mentioned above.
> baselayout-2/openrc-support is still not working for everyone but it's > getting there (
Yeah, they're not stable yet. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering Strategic Lead Games Developer