From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] gcloop status update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 02:05:40
today I added some manpage and now there are patches for the mm kernels
too you can find everything at d.g.o/~lu_zero/gcloop/

Recently got contacted by one of the Jollix author ( and
seems that he is going to use gcloop (at least he managed to do some
test locally and now is thinking about the script to use in the livecd).

Plans for the future:

- Implement gcloop in the cryptoloop module (easy) or as a dm-daemon
module (harder, by looking at dm-crypto seems that I should spend some
time learning how mempools work and how to not add much overhead when
guessing the block we need) that would semplify the init script removing
the need for the

modprobe compressloop
and the
echo "nothing"| losetup -e ucl-0 -p0 /dev/loop0 /mnt/point/image.ucl

that is needed with our current losetup and gcloop.

- Kernelify as much as possible the compressors

- I'll change the userspace application names to something shorter

- Hopefully I'll have enough the time to add more algorithm to let us
try something like multiple gcloop image with different speeds and
compression ratio (better speed for boot, better compression for data)

Thats all

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Linux