From: P Purkayastha <ppurka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science <gentoo-science@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sage on gentoo -- only use system atlas
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:11:50
1 On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM, François Bissey <fbissey@××××××××××××.nz>wrote:
2
3 > On 2013-08-22 00:19, Burcin Erocal wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 20:02:02 +0800
8 >> P Purkayastha <ppurka@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >>
10 >> I need to have a personal installation of Sage to do development
11 >>> work. However, I also want to reduce my upgrade times by installing a
12 >>> system atlas.
13 >>>
14 >>> To do so, I added the science overlay and emerged
15 >>> sci-libs/atlas[lapack,fortran,threads]. Thereafter, I added the
16 >>> environment variable
17 >>>
18 >>> SAGE_ATLAS_LIB=/usr/lib
19 >>>
20 >>> and proceeded to compile sage in my home directory. Atlas fails with
21 >>> the error that it can not find liblapack. The exact error message is
22 >>> given below:
23 >>>
24 >>> Cannot find liblapack.* in /usr/lib
25 >>> Unable to find one of liblapack, libcblas, libatlas or libf77blas
26 >>> in the directory None
27 >>> Set SAGE_ATLAS_LIB to the directory containing liblapack, libcblas,
28 >>> libatlas and libf77blas (either .a, .so, .dylib extensions) if
29 >>> you wish to use existing ATLAS libraries. For more details, see
30 >>> http://sagemath.org/doc/installation/source.html#environment-variables
31 >>> Unset SAGE_ATLAS_LIB to build ATLAS from source.
32 >>>
33 >>
34 >> if you make Sage believe that the atlas package was installed properly,
35 >> the installation proceeds without trouble. So as a quick workaround,
36 >> just do
37 >>
38 >> touch spkg/installed/atlas-<version_number>
39 >>
40 >> I always do this on my system. It would be good to find out the proper
41 >> solution of course. :)
44 Thanks! This makes the compilation proceed further. FYI, in sage-git, the
45 corresponding directory is SAGE_ROOT/local/var/lib/sage/installed
48 One question though: can this trick be used with the other packages such as
49 R, givaro, etc. If this can be done, then it will be so much easier to
50 upgrade sage! I wouldn't have to rely on luck on whether the build finishes
51 in some finite time. :-)
55 >> The main problem here is that Gentoo support the installation of
56 > multiple BLAS/LAPACK at once.
57 > For that reason there is no libraries on the system installed with the
58 > names:
59 > libcblas.*
60 > libf77blas.*
61 > liblapack.*
62 >
63 > My recommendation for you is to create a folder in your home directory and
64 > link all the libraries you need with the appropriate name in a lib
65 > subfolder
66 > and pass the parent directory to SAGE_ATLAS_LIB.
67 >
68 > Francois
71 Actually I do have those libraries. Only missing one is liblapack.*. It is
72 probably one of the similarly named libraries, except I don't know which. I
73 don't want to find out by hit and trial given how finicky atlas is.
74
75 ~» ll /usr/lib/{libcblas.so,libf77blas.so,libatlas.so}
76 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Aug 20 19:39 /usr/lib/libatlas.so -> libatlas.so.3
77 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Sep 15 2012 /usr/lib/libcblas.so -> libgslcblas.so
78 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Aug 20 19:39 /usr/lib/libf77blas.so ->
79 libf77blas.so.3