From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Gentoo scientific overlay
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:57:18
1 On Sunday 11 December 2005 22:27, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
3 > | I was considering the possibility of using a repo specific keyword in>
4 > ebuilds
5 > | such as ~sci so that any herd testers and/or users can add that to their
6 > | ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in /etc/make.conf (as well as maintaining normal keyword
7 > | practices). The intention is to add stuff to the repo for testing
8 > before it
9 >
10 > | is ready to go into portage. Some stuff that we just can't maintain for
11 > | whatever reason could possibly end up in their more permanently too.
12 >
13 > I don't really see the point of ~sci, since the rest of the ebuild will
14 > probably need to get diffed against the regular tree anyway if there are
15 > any changes.
16
17 The ~sci would get removed, but it would be a one line difference that would
18 be spotted quite easily. Ebuilds would still need the relevant archs to add
19 their keywords when it went into the tree but it would give an easy way for
20 people to emerge stuff from the overlay that might not have their keyword.
21 >
22 > How do you plan to keep this in sync with changes in the regular tree?
23 > How is our own solution superior to getting together with gentopia or
24 > something similar that already exists?
25 >
26 Like I said anything that gets moved into portage will be deleted from the
27 overlay. I could probably write a script to check for conflicts but I didn't
28 envisage this being a major problem. I don't think it is necessarily superior
29 to gentopia or the php overlay - what would be the advantage of getting
30 together with them?
31
32 I have talked with some of the PHP and Apache guys about their overlay.
33
34 > | It provides a great way to train herd testers in a safer (than the main
35 > | portage tree) repository and develop ebuilds more interactively. Once
36 > stuff
37 >
38 > | is moved into the portage tree it should of course be deleted from the
39 > | repository.
40 >
41 > OK, so this overlay is only for new packages, and not for changes to
42 > existing ones?
43 >
44 Originally it was intended for new ebuilds, alphas, betas (e.g. the grace
45 betas) and experimental stuff. I thought it would be a good place to try
46 things out, and once they were working to put into portage. Also as a good
47 place to help train new developers that come to the herd and foster a greater
48 range of scientific applications in Gentoo.
49
50 Thanks,
51
52 Marcus