From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Gentoo scientific overlay
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:57:18
On Sunday 11 December 2005 22:27, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Marcus D. Hanwell wrote: > | I was considering the possibility of using a repo specific keyword in> > ebuilds > | such as ~sci so that any herd testers and/or users can add that to their > | ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in /etc/make.conf (as well as maintaining normal keyword > | practices). The intention is to add stuff to the repo for testing > before it > > | is ready to go into portage. Some stuff that we just can't maintain for > | whatever reason could possibly end up in their more permanently too. > > I don't really see the point of ~sci, since the rest of the ebuild will > probably need to get diffed against the regular tree anyway if there are > any changes.
The ~sci would get removed, but it would be a one line difference that would be spotted quite easily. Ebuilds would still need the relevant archs to add their keywords when it went into the tree but it would give an easy way for people to emerge stuff from the overlay that might not have their keyword.
> > How do you plan to keep this in sync with changes in the regular tree? > How is our own solution superior to getting together with gentopia or > something similar that already exists? >
Like I said anything that gets moved into portage will be deleted from the overlay. I could probably write a script to check for conflicts but I didn't envisage this being a major problem. I don't think it is necessarily superior to gentopia or the php overlay - what would be the advantage of getting together with them? I have talked with some of the PHP and Apache guys about their overlay.
> | It provides a great way to train herd testers in a safer (than the main > | portage tree) repository and develop ebuilds more interactively. Once > stuff > > | is moved into the portage tree it should of course be deleted from the > | repository. > > OK, so this overlay is only for new packages, and not for changes to > existing ones? >
Originally it was intended for new ebuilds, alphas, betas (e.g. the grace betas) and experimental stuff. I thought it would be a good place to try things out, and once they were working to put into portage. Also as a good place to help train new developers that come to the herd and foster a greater range of scientific applications in Gentoo. Thanks, Marcus

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-science] Gentoo scientific overlay Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>