From: "Adam Piątyszek" <ediap@×××××××××××××.PL>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] [Fwd: BLAS and CBLAS in Gentoo]
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:46:56
1 Hi All,
2
3 I am forwarding my email to Sebastien regarding the merging of blas- and
4 cblas-reference into one package. Sebastien accepted this idea, but we
5 would like to hear your opinions as well, since you are the real users
6 of scientific libraries in Gentoo.
7
8 BR,
9 /Adam
10
11 -------- Wiadomość oryginalna --------
12 Temat: BLAS and CBLAS in Gentoo
13 Data: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:44:48 +0200
14 Nadawca: Adam Piątyszek <ediap@×××××××××××××.pl>
15 Adresat: bicatali@g.o
16
17 Hi Sebastien,
18
19 How are things going around your new design of scientific libs in
20 Gentoo? Do you have an overlay, which can be pulled with layman?
21
22 BTW, while working with one Debian developer on improving IT++ in
23 Debian, I realised that we might consider merging blas-reference and
24 cblas-reference into one package. This is done in many distributions
25 (Debian, SUSE, PLD Linux, even in Cygwin). I can see mostly advantages
26 of such a step:
27
28 1) cblas-reference provides only bindings to a Fortran BLAS library,
29 which is usually blas-reference
30
31 2) There would be no need to have an extra virtual/cblas.
32 "eselect blas set reference" for instance should set both blas and cblas
33 links.
34
35 3) People who use BLAS through C interface usually do not mix different
36 libraries, e.g cblas-reference + BLAS from MKL
37
38 4) CBLAS is included in both ATLAS and MKL, besides ACML implements
39 their own C bindings to BLAS routines (a bit incompatible though)
40
41 5) The compilation time of joint blas- & cblas-reference will not be
42 critical for those who need only Fortran BLAS. Anyway, we can disable
43 CBLAS in such a joint package with USE="-cblas" flag.
44
45 What do you think?
46
47 BR,
48 /ediap
52 .:. Adam Piatyszek - "ediap" .:. JID: ediap(at)jabber.org .:.
53 .:. ediap(at)users.sourceforge.net .:. PGP key ID: 0x1F115CCB .:.