From: fbissey@××××××××××××.nz
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sage queues
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 04:35:47
1 Quoting VulK <etn45p4m@×××××.com>:
2
3 > Dear all,
4 > this is my first post to gentoo-science and I am writing because I have some
5 > problems running experimental code from the sage project.
6 > My issue is the following:
7 > I have sci-mathematics/sage-4.7-r2 installed from the sage-on-gentoo overlay
8 > and I would like to install the combinat queue; I am following these
9 > instructions: http://wiki.sagemath.org/combinat/MercurialStepByStep
10 > The command I am supposed to run is
11 > # sage -combinat install
12 > unfortunately -combinat is not recognized by sage as a valid option. I
13 > browsed a little bit around the filesystem and I noticed that $SAGE_ROOT is
14 > empty (except for some documentation) while on other installations of sage
15 > (not using the ebuilds) there is plenty of stuff including a devel/combinat
16 > folder.
17 > Is there an option I can use when installing sage to allow for experimental
18 > sources? or is there any other way I can use queues without installing sage
19 > not using portage?
20 > Thanks
21 > VulK
22 >
23 > PS: some weird behaviour:
24 >
25 > % sage -h
26 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
27 > | Sage Version 4.7, Release Date: 2011-05-23 |
28 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
29 >
30 > Optional arguments:
31 > file.<sage|py|spyx> -- run given .sage, .py or .spyx files
32 > -advanced -- list all command line options
33 > -c <cmd> -- Evaluates cmd as sage code
34 > -experimental -- list all experimental packages that can be installed
35 > -gap [...] -- run Sage's Gap with given arguments
36 > -gp [...] -- run Sage's PARI/GP calculator with given arguments
37 > -h, -? -- print this help message
38 > -i [packages] -- install the given Sage packages
39 > -inotebook [...] -- start the *insecure* Sage notebook
40 > -maxima [...] -- run Sage's Maxima with given arguments
41 > -mwrank [...] -- run Sage's mwrank with given arguments
42 > -n, -notebook [...] -- start the Sage notebook (options are the same
43 > as for the notebook command in Sage)
44 > -optional -- list all optional packages that can be installed
45 > -python [...] -- run the Python interpreter
46 > -R [...] -- run Sage's R with given arguments
47 > -singular [...] -- run Sage's singular with given arguments
48 > -root -- print the Sage root directory
49 > -t [options] <files|dir>
50 > -- test examples in .py, .pyx, .sage or .tex files
52 > -long -- include lines with the phrase
53 > 'long time'
54 > -verbose -- print debugging output during
55 > the test
56 > -optional -- also test all #optional examples
57 > -only-optional <tag1,...,tagn> -- only run tests
58 > including one of the #optional tags
59 > -randorder[=seed] -- randomize order of tests
60 > -v, -version -- print the Sage version
61 >
62 > % sage -experimental
63 > sage-run received unknown option: -experimental
64 > usage: sage [options]
65 > Try 'sage -h' for more information.
66
67 Hi VuLK,
68
69 unfortunately at this stage we do not support that in sage-on-gentoo.
70 Actually the version we ship is stripped down in some ways.
71 Let me explain:
72 sage has its own upgrade system, it wouldn't work in the kind of
73 installation we
74 do and that would mean changing, adding and deleting files in the
75 system outside
76 the control of the package manager. We definitely don't want to do that. So we
77 removed the options for sage upgrade. The only option to upgrade is
78 portage/package-core etc...
79
80 There are options to help you create spkg, install spkg and so on, we could
81 probably give back the one to create spkg but we otherwise completely
82 circumvent the sage build system so the corresponding options are gone.
83
84 The main problem is that sage's normal distribution model is trying to be
85 developer friendly but isn't distro friendly. We coerced it into a
86 distro which
87 makes it more appealing for an end user to try but it is stripped of
88 some of the
89 dev-friendly features.
90
91 There are advantages and disadvantages for both models. We can be/are
92 more up to
93 date than sage with some packages. If I patch something I literally have to
94 reinstall the whole of of the sage spkg from portage, the equivalent of sage
95 -ba while from vanilla sage you could use sage -b and only rebuild the
96 necessary bits.
97
98 Now you are the first person making this kind of request about using something
99 like the combinat queue. We probably can give you an ebuild pulling the
100 combinat queue. There are just two caveats here:
101 1) it may take a bit of time for us to come up with something.
102 2) because I expect the queue to be somewhat in flux it would have to be a hot
103 ebuild of some kind. If you can live with that we can probably work something
104 out.
105
106 Francois