From: Steve Arnold <nerdboy@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] New scientific herd tester
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 02:31:35
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 01:55:11 +0100
"Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o> wrote:

> I am also a member of the amd64 porting team, where we have > several architecture testers (ATs) who assist in necessary testing > and bug fixing for amd64 porting activities. I thought that a > similar approach may be helpful in the scientific herd as many of > our applications tend to be quite complex and difficult to test > for people outside of the intended field(s). > > The amd64 team has a page[2] with details on ATs, and I plan to > make a similar page for herd testers (HTs) in the future. So far > we have just got one herd tester and several others interested. > There is also a GLEP 41[3] awaiting approval on making ATs > official Gentoo staff, and this will also be extended to herd > testers.
Speaking of ATs, will we have enough arches covered within this HT group? I can only do sparc and x86, and there are several ebuilds I can think of that need some work on other arches. I've used both bugzilla and the direct bugging method, but it seems like we could use something in addition to that (exactly what, I'm not sure). Maybe I'm just too far outside the loop on stuff; how do we coordinate the arch component of this new overlay? Do we get an overlay on more than one arch? Or? Just curious... [snip] Steve aka nerdboy -- Steve Arnold gnupg key: