From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] moving the science overlay to github?
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 08:03:42
1 On 08/02/12 17:25, Christoph Junghans wrote:
2 > 2012/2/8 Jan Marten Simons <marten@××××××××××××××××.de>:
3 >> Thomas Kahle:
4 >>>> Actualy you can send pull request even now =) Its git. See for example
5 >>>> linux kernel related work
6 >>>
7 >>> Sure, the New Yorker publishes short stories. In my experience this is
8 >>> a huge barrier for first time contributors. I'm seeing this with the
9 >>> offlineimap project which enforces the git-format-patch and mailing list
10 >>> pull-requests/review. There are people who just want to fix three lines
11 >>> in the doc but don't want to get black belts in git-fu. Then sometimes
12 >>> the maintainers won't implement the 3 line change to the doc themselves
13 >>> because they want proper credit for the original contributor, so after
14 >>> ~10 e-mails the original contributor tries git-email and fails to meet
15 >>> the standards. Another couple of e-mails are required do explain
16 >>> sign-off, reply-to headers, ... I'll stop here you get the point.
17 >>>
18 >>> IMHO using github or a self-hosted equivalent will make contributing
19 >>> easier. Clone, commit, and to some web-thingie for the pull-request.
20 >>
21 >> +1
22 >>
23 > After reading all this, +1 for github.
24 >
25 > Maybe that would be a good point to switch to thin manifests.
26 >
27 > Christoph
28 >
29 They are already thin since some time.