From: Cruz Enrique Borges <cruz.borges@××××××.es>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Installing SPSS in gentoo linux
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:57:01
1 On Wednesday 21 September 2011 10:40:47 Neil Shephard wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Cruz Enrique Borges
3 > <cruz.borges@××××××.es> wrote:
4 > > Hello
5 > >
6 > > I was wondering if I can install SPSS in gentoo linux. I personally use R but
7 > > my brother don't have the skill to manage in a command line enviorment.
8 > > He has tryed rk-ward and PSPP and don't fell confortable enought so he wants
9 > > to try with the spss linux port.
10 > >
11 > > Have anyone manage to install it? I have google for an ebuild or a how-to
12 > > without luck and I will trying to download the package right now.
13 >
14 > SPSS is licensed software so you'll have to ensure you have one.
15 > Never installed before, but I'd imagine it comes packaged with an
16 > installer (or as an RPM) and I'd be inclined to install locally into
17 > users home directory (e.g. ~/bin). Not a very clean/gentoo approach,
18 > but I doubt it warrants writing an ebuild.
19
20 I have managed to install MAPLE before that way. I hope it will be the same.
21 I suppose the University where he works have licenses (at least for the windows
22 version...). Anyway I will use the trial version to test.
23
24 > You might want to consider some of the R GUI's such as...
25 >
26 > R Commander
27 > RGNumeric
28 >
29 > ...and others detailed at http://sciviews.org/_rgui/
30
31 As I was told he has tryed but did not find confortable with anyone.
32
33 Thanks for the quick reply!
34
35 > Neil