From: "Sébastien Fabbro" <bicatali@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] sci team help
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:50:53
Hi all,

I would like to call for help for the sci team. Lately, we are taking
care of sometimes old packages, sometimes packages that we don't use but
are quite popular so we want to keep in the tree. Our time is limited,
bug list is barely reducing, and requests for new packages are piling
up.

There are plenty of interesting projects the sci team could start. But
we just don't do because we are understaffed. Examples of such projects
are: grid-aware tools, homepage page renewal, more docs, test-suites for
packages, more collaboration with hp-cluster. I also know some widely
used packages are not in the tree because they need a lot of time to
package/maintain. In my field such examples are: iraf and midas in
sci-astronomy, geant-4 in hep, R-packages, many numerical libraries,
etc...

So what could we do to get more help: call for new recruits, convince
more devs to join the sci herd, get proxied packages, more overlay
maintainers? (in the past, there was a similar thread [1]). I could
train a new dev in anyone interested, I would have more time in 2 weeks.

Regards,

--
Sébastien

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.science/272