From: "Sébastien Fabbro" <bicatali@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] sci team help
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:50:53
1 Hi all,
2
3 I would like to call for help for the sci team. Lately, we are taking
4 care of sometimes old packages, sometimes packages that we don't use but
5 are quite popular so we want to keep in the tree. Our time is limited,
6 bug list is barely reducing, and requests for new packages are piling
7 up.
8
9 There are plenty of interesting projects the sci team could start. But
10 we just don't do because we are understaffed. Examples of such projects
11 are: grid-aware tools, homepage page renewal, more docs, test-suites for
12 packages, more collaboration with hp-cluster. I also know some widely
13 used packages are not in the tree because they need a lot of time to
14 package/maintain. In my field such examples are: iraf and midas in
15 sci-astronomy, geant-4 in hep, R-packages, many numerical libraries,
16 etc...
17
18 So what could we do to get more help: call for new recruits, convince
19 more devs to join the sci herd, get proxied packages, more overlay
20 maintainers? (in the past, there was a similar thread [1]). I could
21 train a new dev in anyone interested, I would have more time in 2 weeks.
22
23 Regards,
26 Sébastien
27