From: "François Bissey" <frp.bissey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] [sage-on-gentoo] Sage without Java
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 08:49:29
1 Hi Vladimir,
2
3 This is unfortunately due to sage’s direct dependency to “jmol”
4 (sage-jmol-bin these days) it used to be only a dependency
5 through the sage-notebook with the flag java. But sage uses jmol
6 directly for 3D plots as its default backend. I, and others -
7 including the people maintaining sage in debian - wish it weren’t
8 so :( Mostly because we have a very low opinion about jmol from
9 a packaging perspective.
10 It may be possible to use something else for 3D plots and make
11 jmol optional but that’s work I am not quite ready to commit to.
12
13 François
14