From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Gentoo Science next meeting agenda - 5) fortran
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 15:29:23
Looks like due to google remapping email headers and some changes in gentoo
infra my reply did not get to the list. So, here it goes again, now avoiding
gmail :).
BTW, there were a few posts on this topic in the linked thread on Donnie's
blog since my last post attempt.

On Sunday 05 December 2010 13:55:40 Kacper Kowalik wrote:
> Again, for the reference and starting point for the discussion > Donnie's blog post: >
Very interesting - that this point started coming up in multiple places lately. I guess "the time has come" finally. My interest/"involvement" here is that Ada has been implementing such a system for many years now (perhaps the first such miltiABI class in the tree), therefore, if there some technical issues that can be referenced: (unfortunately incomplete, but I should have put principal points there before "dropping it") and discussed. The implementattion is somewhat along the lines of "2." point in thatDonnie's post. In fact, 2 and 3 follow the same principle, the difference is only where the multi-build control code resides - in the ebuild or external script. The Ada implementation places it in the "standard" locations: an eclass for building compilers, an eclass for taking care of libs and eselect module "to rule them all". There is even an option of selecting "primary" profiles - the ones for which libs will be built, and having "experimental" - just for play compilers. Therefore I would suggest to interested people to look at the code/contact me, etc.. I think we can all benefit from discussing this topic. Overal though, I would very much like to push for the standard "in portage" treatment of multiple ABIs - at leas for PM providing some necessary "core"functionality. However this is still not out of the design phase, as I understand.. George