From: Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] G-CRAN weekly report #5
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:39:10
1 What can I say, g-cran works and everything from here on is just
2 improvement over what existed already. I got the base of the project
3 like I wanted it, stable and reliable, although the R package
4 installer doesn't do some specific things quite how I'd like it to.
5
6 So the current code simply calls R to build and install packages. A
7 compatibility ebuild uses the package name to find the R package,
8 which is then fed to R. I must say that although this is a bit
9 hackish, it works very nicely.
10
11 Should you want to give this code a spin, the ebuild is in the
12 gentoo-science overlay. Once you've installed g-cran, create a new
13 overlay and cd into it, then:
14 #mkdir profiles
15 #echo "cran" >> profiles/repo_name
16 #g-cran . sync http://cran.r-project.org
17 #g-cran . generate-tree
18 Make your favorite package manager read this new tree and you should
19 be able to install some packages. Soon to come is proper parsing of
20 the License field, proper translation of dependencies (the current
21 code assumes a dependency on foo means a dependency on dev-R/foo) and
22 installing /usr/share/doc files correctly. Specifically the first and
23 the last I'll be focusing on for this week, but not unimportantly,
24 development on g-common, which as you may remember is the piece of
25 software I'll hopefully be writing with wiktor_b and iElectric to
26 organize non-ebuild package installations, will continue next week.
27 Exams will also be over, so after this week I will be spending loads
28 of time making dependencies parse correctly and package managers
29 handle g-cran fluently.
30
31 For the next three weeks or so, I'll be able to entertain myself
32 finishing the important parts of g-cran and writing g-common. After
33 that, I'd really like to do some QA, and perhaps write some
34 package-fixing scripts, since a lot of R packages have incorrect
35 syntax.
36
37 As I'm writing this, some roommates are already yelling our national
38 anthem, so right now I'm off to watch football ("Kijk, de bal moet
39 minimaal tussen die twee palen.").