From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] eclass for R
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:53:37
1 On 16:42 Tue 21 Oct , Neil Shephard wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Davide Cittaro
3 > <davide.cittaro@×××××××××××××××.it> wrote:
4 > > Hi all,
5 > > Does anybody know if there is a ready-to-use eclass for R packages? In
6 > > princible it should just run
7 > > R CMD INSTALL ${P}
8 > > once dowloaded, as CFLAGS and CC are inherited from the ones used for
9 > > building R...
10 > > Thanks
11 > > d
12 >
13 > Not as far as I'm aware. There was a proposal to have R package
14 > support developed as part of the Google Summer of Code (see
15 > http://www.nabble.com/Google-Summer-of-Code-td15825129.html) and there
16 > is some support for R packages in paludis (see above and also
17 > http://www.nabble.com/R-packages-from-CRAN--td16298845.html where you
18 > got some similar responses).
19 >
20 > It would be very handy to have Gentoo (portage or paludis) support
21 > CRAN packages in the same way CPAN is supported. I don't have a clue
22 > where to start though.
23
24 As Neil says, one way to go for a generic solution would be to create
25 something like app-portage/g-cpan. That avoids bloating the tree with
26 hundreds of ebuilds that don't really do anything unique.
27
28 This discussion seems familiar, so you might want to take a search
29 through the archives of this list.
32 Thanks,
33 Donnie
34