From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Cc: Justin Bronder <jsbronder@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Supporting multiple MPI stacks with empi
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 09:11:24
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:29:52 -0400 Justin Bronder wrote:
2 > Basically, is anyone still using it over a self-built system using modules or
3 > some similar project?
4
5 > There's some interest in the main Gentoo tree to port to
6 > multilib.eclass which I think may be ignoring use cases important to HPC site
7 > administrators. In particular, the ability to use emerge and empi to manage
8 > multiple mpi/lapack/blas stacks. However, I have no proof aside from positive
9 > feedback from back when empi was in development.
10
11 Yes, we are using it in production (two HPC setups) to allow
12 our users to switch between openmpi and mpich2.
13
14 We also manage multiple lapack/blas/cblas/etc implementations using
15 eselect tools from the sci overlay.
16
17 > I definitely don't want to stand in the way of other motivated developers if
18 > everyone using Gentoo for HPC is no longer using empi and instead using systems
19 > outside of Gentoo.
20 >
21 > So, you have a few weeks to speak up. If I don't hear anything back, I'll drop
22 > empi and mpi.eclass from the science overlay.
25 Best regards,
26 Andrew Savchenko