From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] website python error
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:57:24
1 On Friday 15 September 2006 08:50, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
2 > On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
4 > > > Not sure about the links from the overlays.g.o, gentooscience.org was
5 > > > created before the overlays think had even been discussed as a solution
6 > > > to a problem. It is advertised here, and on the IRC channel but it
7 > > > would be good to get it more widely advertised.
8 > >
9 > > Pretty sure they're not interested in linking to external overlays. If
10 > > you want a link, and to save some time on maintenance and future
11 > > breakage, it might be easier to just migrate to their hosting.
12 >
13 > I think this is an excellent idea. First-class inofficial overlays live at
14 > overlays.gentoo.org; we want the same status, we don't want to be second-
15 > (or third-) class.
16
17 I think this statement is incorrect about first or second class overlays.
18 According to their own FAQs that is not the case. My own personal belief says
19 it certainly is not that case. To make a more reasoned case you have to ask
20 what the actual benefits of a move might be, i.e. bigger admin team, more
21 widely used/tested, shiny gentoo.org domain ending...
22
23 But like I said in my last response if the overall opinion is to move I will
24 make the subversion repo backup available for migration of the overlay. I set
25 it up as a service for the Gentoo scientific community before any of this was
26 available as we were sick of waiting for it to appear... Now it has may be
27 the overlay would be better there. I am not sure - I doubt it would hurt
28 though...