From: Justin Findlay <justin@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] RFC: modeling software
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:52:04
1 On AD 2008 February 07 Thursday 07:07:24 AM -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
2 > "Modeling" is too vague a word to get a meaningful response. However, I'll
3 > assume that, since it's astrophysics, that you're solving some equations.
4 > There are two ways to solve equations, numeric and symbolic. You can also
5 > mix these approaches, although that's more difficult.
6
7 The equation solving is pretty easily done by hand so far.
8
9 > So ... can you specify the nature of the model? Is it equation-based?
10 > Numerical? Symbolic? Algebraic? Integral? Differential? None of the above?
11
12 This is the part I don't quite understand. Maybe I should ask my
13 advisor and then I can come back with a more specific question, but in the
14 movies modeling usually consists of a fancy full color 3D graphical
15 simulation with sound effects. :-)
18 Justin
19 --
20 gentoo-science@l.g.o mailing list