From: Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] G-CRAN weekly report #6
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 19:50:25
1 Last week I promised:
2 "Soon to come is proper parsing of the License field, proper
3 translation of dependencies (the current code assumes a dependency on
4 foo means a dependency on dev-R/foo) and installing /usr/share/doc
5 files correctly."
6
7 Well, I have very good news. The License field gets parsed almost
8 properly, documentation files get installed almost correctly, and
9 dependencies are almost translated properly.
10
11 No, it's not perfect yet. If the license is really a reference to a
12 LICENSE file (instead of just the name of the license), it does not
13 get installed, nor displayed correctly. If the documentation isn't
14 just HTML documentation, it doesn't get installed. If a dependency is
15 really already part of the default R install, it's not discarded and
16 the package will depend on a nonexistent package, and this is
17 something I'd like to hear your thoughts on (see below).
18
19 Unfortunately, g-common isn't really getting anywhere yet. I hope some
20 more emailing will get us started, but else I'll be developing my own
21 system. If I will, then a big advantage would be that I can simply
22 implement it the way I'd like to, instead of having to convince the
23 other two GSoC devs first ;-)
24
25 Alright, discarding dependencies. Some (a lot of) CRAN-style packages
26 depend on libraries which already get installed as part of the R
27 program. These dependencies should, for our purposes anyway, simply be
28 discarded, but to do this I do need to know what libraries are part of
29 the default R install, which means listing R's files, and I'd like you
30 guys to tell me how to do this. As far as I can see, the following are
31 the options and I'd like to hear which you would prefer:
32 -use "qlist" or "equery files"
33 -read it from the vdb
34 -hardcode the list of builtin R libraries
35 -read it from the filesystem directly (note: this would mean that some
36 correct dependencies are discarded as well, but it is a very
37 lightweight and independent solution)
38 Pros, cons? Opinions wanted!
39
40 Up for next week is, first of all, finishing the dependency stuff, and
41 if I'm lucky some initial development on g-common. The week after that
42 I will still be working on g-common, and perhaps do some initial
43 QA.