From: "François Bissey" <f.r.bissey@×××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sci-libs/mpir for the main tree
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:23:16
1 > Hi,
2 >
3 > On 09:41 Wed 10 Nov , Christopher Schwan wrote:
4 > > I followed the instructions listed in number 6 of the following page:
5 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/gnu-stack.xml . However, the fix
6 > > is incomplete (some architectures still have executable stacks) and I
7 > > had some problems with BASH:
8 > >
9 > > for i in $(find . -type f -name '*.asm') ; do
10 > >
11 > > echo $i >/dev/null
12 > > cat >> $i <<-EOF
13 > >
14 > > #if defined(__linux__) && defined(__ELF__)
15 > > .section .note.GNU-stack,"",%progbits
16 > > #endif
17 > >
18 > > EOF
19 > >
20 > > done
21 > >
22 > > If I remove the line with "echo" (which *should* be completely useless),
23 > > the cat command does not patch files - WHY ?! Also, mpir seemed to have
24 > > dropped yasm beginning with mpir-2.1 (?), so I think at least one loop
25 > > in mpir's ebuild is superfluous.
26 >
27 > I will look into this. What is the state for ppc and prefix ? In
28 > short: What keywords should we have on mpir? I can only test ~amd64 and
29 > ~x86.
30 >
31 Does work on ppc, I have emerged it regularly on my test machine.
32 We have stopped caring about using mpir in sage for now, so I don't think
33 Christopher tested it on prefix.
34 As for the echo stuff we had a chat with xarty the other day and they don't
35 seem to be necessary anymore. We suspect it was a bash (old version) problem.
36
37 As for your question for the executable stack flag, we don't really know, but
38 sage basically added it to LDFLAGS and we could try to do the same thing.
39
40 Francois