From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <A.G.Grozin@×××××××.su>
To: Markus Dittrich <markusle@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] freemat-2.0 at gentooscience.org
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:47:38
1 On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Markus Dittrich wrote:
2 > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
3 > > 1. Some ebuild (usually with the USE flag "doc") starts latex
4 > > 2. Some font used in the latex file has not yet been used on this
5 > > particular computer
6 > > 3. latex starts metafont to generate this font
7 > > 4. metafont wants to write it to /var/cache/fonts
8 > > 5. This triggers sandbox violation
9 > Have a look at [1] and the links therein which provide some info on how to
10 > work with the sandbox. Keep in mind, though, that these commands should only
11 > be used if there really is no other way
12 > (such as patching the makefile etc.) to get rid of the
13 > sandbox violations; the sandbox is present for a very good reason!
14 > An ebuild in portage that shows these commands in action would be
15 > app-text/ptex-3.1.8.1_p20050418
16 Thanks for the pointer. I think I've fixed the immediate problem.
17
18 But I got such sandbox violations when emerging packages from the main
19 portage tree more than once. Many packages use LaTeX for documentation;
20 metafont can be called at any moment. Shouldn't the directories to which
21 it writes generated fonts be added to SANDBOX_WRITE globally? Then the
22 level of users' frustration would be lower.
23
24 Andrey
25 --
26 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list