From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Re: New category proposal - sci-vis
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:02:01
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > Macromolecular graphics tools I really consider biochemistry, so they
4 > can go either way. But I more often hear biochemistry elongated as
5 > biological chemistry than chemical biology. So if forced to categorize
6 > one or the other, I lean toward chemistry.
7
8 It all depends on the size of the molecules and the amount of
9 specialization of the researchers, I think. We could go to the extreme
10 of a category for each package if we were perverse enough. :)
11
12 I'm just starting to explore the Bioconductor Project
13 (http://www.bioconductor.org). When all is said and done, Bioconductor,
14 though it's primarly a collection of R code for cancer and genetics
15 research, is really applied math and computer science. For example, I'm
16 using some of the routines in Bioconductor for computer performance
17 engineering.
18
19 Of course, my father was a biochemist and the correspondences between
20 computer science, computational biochemistry and genetics were not lost
21 on me. In short, my vote is for biology or biocomputing or
22 bioinformatics rather than biochemistry or chemistry.
23
24 Just on the off chance some of you are interested in the heavy stuff,
25 the good folks in Seattle at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
26 are having an advanced R programming class in January. I've already
27 spoken to the organizers and they've assured me that the course is more
28 about R than bioinformatics and that computer scientists like myself are
29 welcome. If I go I will be bringing a Gentoo laptop, of course. :) For
30 more details, visit https://cobra.fhcrc.org/rforbioc/
33 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
34
35 http://linuxcapacityplanning.com