From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <A.G.Grozin@×××××××.su>
To: Miguel de Val-Borro <miguel.deval@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sci-mathematics/reduce on amd64
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 13:53:53
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, Miguel de Val-Borro wrote:
> There is also a warning about an unrecognized configure option: > configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-gui
This package is a QA nightmare :-( It bundles modified sources of x11-libs/fox (it does not compile with the system fox). First, it compiles this bundled fox, and installs it somewhere inside the build tree. Then it configures csl (and thus finds this freshly installed fox) and compiles it. Then it compiles reduce with csl. During this process, autoconf is called from make ("maintainer mode") many times. And each time, the arguments of the top-level configure are passed to all configure scripts in subdirectories. --with-gui is needed by one configure script (this is controlled by the USE flag X; with -X, fox is not built, and csl and reduce work at the command line only). But this --with-gui is passed to all configure scripts in various directories (fox sources, for example), and these scripts don't recognize this option. Ugly, but this works.
> Here is the full build log on amd64: >
Many thanks. Looks OK. I really want reduce to become more popular. There are only 3 free computer algebra systems: maxima, reduce, axiom (I don't count toys like yacas; and axiom has forked into axiom, openaxiom, and fricas). reduce is mature (from late 60s), powerful and very efficient. So, I have to live somehow with the weirdness of its current build system. I suppose I can keyword it ~amd64, so that more users will have a chance to install it. Andrey

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-science] sci-mathematics/reduce on amd64 Burcin Erocal <burcin@××××××.org>