From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] website python error
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 07:50:58
1 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
2 > On Saturday 16 September 2006 09:51, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
4 >>> On Friday 15 September 2006 08:50, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
5 >>>> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
6 >>>>> Pretty sure they're not interested in linking to external overlays.
7 >>>>> If you want a link, and to save some time on maintenance and future
8 >>>>> breakage, it might be easier to just migrate to their hosting.
9 >>>> I think this is an excellent idea. First-class inofficial overlays live
10 >>>> at overlays.gentoo.org; we want the same status, we don't want to be
11 >>>> second- (or third-) class.
12 >>> I think this statement is incorrect about first or second class overlays.
13 >>> According to their own FAQs that is not the case. My own personal belief
14 >>> says it certainly is not that case. To make a more reasoned case you have
15 >>> to ask what the actual benefits of a move might be, i.e. bigger admin
16 >>> team, more widely used/tested, shiny gentoo.org domain ending...
17 >>>
18 >>> But like I said in my last response if the overall opinion is to move I
19 >>> will make the subversion repo backup available for migration of the
20 >>> overlay. I set it up as a service for the Gentoo scientific community
21 >>> before any of this was available as we were sick of waiting for it to
22 >>> appear... Now it has may be the overlay would be better there. I am not
23 >>> sure - I doubt it would hurt though...
24 >> Suppose I am a Gentoo user, and I want to try some new package (or a
25 >> bleeding-edge version) which is not in the main tree. I search the Gentoo
26 >> website for links to some experimental overlays (something like rpmforge
27 >> and freshrpms in the RedHat world). And aha! I find overlays.gentoo.org
28 >> (and nothing else). If the package I want is in one of the overlays there,
29 >> I am happy. If not, I am stuck.
30 >>
31 >> In other words, overlays.gentoo.org lives on the Gentoo continent;
32 >> gentooscience.org is an island in the middle of nowhere.
33 >
34 > May be that is where our opinions of what the overlay is for are very
35 > different. I never set the overlay up with general users in mind, and that
36 > wasn't what we discussed when we were thinking about why we needed an
37 > overlay.
38 >
39 > In my opinion the overlay is there for interested users wishing to take a
40 > bigger role in development, using experimental ebuilds and helping to improve
41 > them until they are ready to go into the tree. As such I was never interested
42 > in trying to get the attention of some user searching for a particular ebuild.
43 > All ebuilds which are suitable should be moved into the main tree
44 > anyway and so the user will find it there...
45 >
46 > I never tried to keep the overlay secret, but why should users have to
47 > set up a myriad of overlays if they just want to run a system? May be you
48 > would be better off becoming a developer and adding stuff to the tree? If we
49 > follow a trend of keeping more and more stuff in various overlays then Gentoo
50 > just becomes more of a pain to run IMHO.
51
52 There's a middle ground, where current developers don't want to maintain
53 a package, but the non-developer with commit access to an overlay
54 doesn't want to commit the time to become a developer. This is where
55 things end up staying in overlays even though they're theoretically
56 ready for the tree. This is why it's useful for users to be able to find
57 overlays.
58
59 Layman has made it trivially easy to add overlays already, so it's
60 really much of a pain at all.
61
62 Thanks,
63 Donnie