From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] [sage-on-gentoo] 4.6.1.alpha2 and absence
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:14:21
1 Hi,
2
3 On Saturday 20 November 2010 11:13:48 François Bissey wrote:
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > After a false start earlier this week it appears that sage-4.6.1.alpha2
7 > is finally released. The previous "release" was aborted after I reported
8 > tests results from sage-on-gentoo to the sage-devel mailing list.
9 > We have an impact upstream. Thanks to Steve Trogdon for running the test
10 > in question against my ebuilds.
11 >
12 > There are many things of interest planned for 4.6.1:
13 > * numpy-1.5/scipy-0.8 - we already have this but now it is official
14 > upstream * maxima-5.22.1 - again we already have this but upstream is
15 > getting there * cvxopt-1.1.3 - see above
16 > * sphinx-1.0.4 - is stable on gentoo but broke a test in sage, with
17 > upstream upgrading the test is fixed.
18 >
19 > While we have a lot of this already, the main point is that the number of
20 > patches we are applying is actually going down in this release.
21 > And if I had been a bit more attentive working with upstream it may have
22 > been going down further.
23 >
24 > We have a handle on all the issues reported except for two. One about gap
25 > from which we haven't heard in ages. Some changes we have made months
26 > ago would have reduced the impact of this problem dramatically anyway.
27 > A report by Vladimir that sage doesn't work on his system. This is more
28 > worrying but we are unable to reproduce it. I am hoping it is related to
29 > some tickets upstream on pynac. If it is, Vladimir's problem could be
30 > solved in 4.6.1 or 4.6.2.
33 > ------------------------
34 >
35 > Other matters. Some of you already know this. I am relocating on the 1st of
36 > December and will be probably out of action for most of December.
37 > Christopher will be the sole person in charge of the overlay during that
38 > time. I am sure he will have the support of the usual suspects.
39
40 Lets hope so ;) But yes, I will take care for the overlay. Since I am very
41 busy this lecture period expect me to be active on weekends.
44 > I am not sure what his plans are regarding making alpha releases.
45
46 I do not plan to make alpha releases - again, lack of time :-/
47
48 > It was
49 > quite good to do some for 4.6 as there was a lot of changes being put in
50 > place upstream. 4.6.1 is more interesting than I thought it would be, so
51 > there is some value in doing some alpha releases.
52
53 Definitely - 4.6 and 4.6.1 introduced a lot of new packages.
54
55 > I think we are in good shape for 4.6.1 as it is unlikely there will be
56 > another disruptive change at this stage.
59 > Oh yes, I will lose my ppc machine :( - I will get some more at my new work
60 > but they won't be running gentoo (although I am already thinking of trying
61 > to run prefix on them) they are running aix.
62 >
63 > Francois