From: Rafael Goncalves Martins <rafaelmartins@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] g-octave
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 14:47:19
1 On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Juan Aguado <juantxorena@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> I wrote a blog post about this topic, to avoid being repetitive.
3 >>
4 >> http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/post/g-octave-past-present-and-future/
5 >>
6 >> TL;DR: Please read the documentation.
10 > First of all, sorry if I've offended somebody. That wasn't my intention. My intention was only to show the current state of octave in gentoo.
11
12 Do you know how much "members" the "gentoo octave" project have?
13
14 > However, I also find annoying that people assumes that I haven't read the documentation or made an effort to fix the problems.
15
16 Each sentence you write make this more obvious.
17
18 > Anyway, I find more time-consuming to log in in a github account to propose some changes and wait them to be approved than to update an ebuild of fill a bug. Not to mention thta when I try to update de g-octave database, I get this message: '"--sync" not available, please install g-octave-9999 if you want this.', and I'm forced to install a masked version of a package that, as the docs says, is not recommended to use. Not to mention that I also have real life problems and I don't have time to mess with this things.
19
20 1) You DON'T need to use Github to update the package database.
21 There's a big and shiny warning on this section of the docs saying
22 that end-users don't need to read. Just do it if you want to help
23 other users. Use the --scm option of g-octave, and package.keywords to
24 unmask the scm packages you want to install.
25 2) You DON'T need to use --sync at all, g-octave can install packages
26 from octave-forge SVN repository with the damn --scm option.
27 3) stable releases of g-octave comes with a package database, that is
28 installed by 'emerge --config'. We do this for security reasons. The
29 live version obviously don't comes with a package database, then you
30 need the '--sync' option to get one from github.
31
32 That's it
33
34 Regards,