From: "Andrey G. Grozin" <A.G.Grozin@×××××××.su>
To: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] maxima-5.14.0 and related stuff
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 06:41:00
1 On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
2 > gcl is a disaster waiting to happen from what I've heard. The project seems
3 > stalled, and if you want a Common Lisp, your "viable" open source choices
4 > appear to be clisp and sbcl.
5 Here I disagree. gcl development is not stalled. 2.7.0 will have a lot of
6 new exciting stuff (including speed improvements). Camm Maguire is very
7 helpful and responsive.
8
9 I never had problems with gcl until recently. I always used it as my main
10 common lisp for maxima and other things. Recently, I uninstalled it, and
11 installed again (the same version). And after that, it is broken. It seems
12 that there is some serious flaw in the gcl Gentoo ebuild (this never
13 happens on Debian, for example; but Camm is a Debian developer :-)
14
15 Andrey
16 --
17 gentoo-science@l.g.o mailing list