From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] [sage-on-gentoo] how to start using?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 08:28:06
1 Hi Vladimir,
2
3 On Thursday 27 May 2010 08:03:58 v_2e@×××.net wrote:
4 > Hello everyone!
5 > I would like to take part in using and testing Sage on my Gentoo
6 > amd64 machine. But I do not know how to start.
7 > Should I simply turn on using 'sage-on-gentoo' overlay and do
8 > # emerge sage
9 > ?
10
11 Yes - for a longer answer take a look into our README file:
12
13 http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
14
15 This will help you unmasking the required ebuilds.
16
17 > And by the way, does it work at all? :) And where to post error
18 > messages (a kind of bugreports) if I encounter any problems?
19
20 The good news is: On x86 Sage works fine (there are some testcases which fail,
21 look at: http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues ) and I would claim
22 it works even better than the unmodified Sage itself ;) (latex packages are
23 automatically installed and paths set for example).
24
25 The bad news is that there are two major problems on amd64:
26
27 - You may encounter a bug related to gap (if you try starting Sage it may hang
28 at certain point because of gap)
29 - When exiting Sage there is a certain probability to trigger the random
30 SIGABRT failure - that means Sage will work fine until you you exit it.
31
32 Of course, we are trying to fix these but the first issue is hard to reproduce
33 and the second is hard to debug (because its random).
34
35 If you encounter problems mail them to this list.
38 > Thanks.
39 > Vladimir.
40 >
42 > <v_2e@×××.net>