From: Christoph Junghans <ottxor@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] la files for sci-libs/mpir
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:35:00
1 Hi Thomas,
2
3 2011/8/14 Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>:
4 > An amd64 arch tester asked me to 'remove the .la files' from mpir.  I
5 > must admit that I still don't see through this.  Not all .la files are
6 > evil, or are they?  Should the ones coming with mpir not be installed?
7 That depends on what depends on mpir!
8
9 Basically the .la files contain all dependencies of a library, but
10 only a GNU build system using libtool makes use of these files, other
11 build systems like cmake don't.
12
13 However there are two cases, where it is 100% safe to delete the .la files:
14 1.) mpir comes with a pkg-config (.pc) file.
15 2.) mpir only installs a shared libs, which have an internal
16 dependencies memory.
17
18 But i guess the use of the autotool-utils eclass together with
19 static-libs useflag is the best solution.
20
21 Cheers,
22
23 Christoph