From: Christoph Junghans <ottxor@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] la files for sci-libs/mpir
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:35:00
Hi Thomas,

2011/8/14 Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o>:
> An amd64 arch tester asked me to 'remove the .la files' from mpir.  I > must admit that I still don't see through this.  Not all .la files are > evil, or are they?  Should the ones coming with mpir not be installed?
That depends on what depends on mpir! Basically the .la files contain all dependencies of a library, but only a GNU build system using libtool makes use of these files, other build systems like cmake don't. However there are two cases, where it is 100% safe to delete the .la files: 1.) mpir comes with a pkg-config (.pc) file. 2.) mpir only installs a shared libs, which have an internal dependencies memory. But i guess the use of the autotool-utils eclass together with static-libs useflag is the best solution. Cheers, Christoph