From: Peter Bienstman <pbienst@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] lapack transition
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:43:53
1 On Sunday 21 August 2005 17:31, Darren Dale wrote:
2
3 > If you install lapack-atlas and blas-atlas, and link scipy to the blas and
4 > lapack libraries but not the atlas libraries, do you still get the enhanced
5 > performance from atlas? (This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm still
6 > learning.)
7
8 Yes, that's the whole idea. The names 'lapack' and 'blas' are just symlinks to
9 whatever library implements them, like the reference libraries, or ATLAS, or
10 perhaps at a later stage MKL.
11
12 > On a related topic, I noticed that sci-libs/atlas is still being developed,
13 > isn't it deprecated? This ebuild installs its libraries in /usr/lib,
14 > instead of somewhere unique and providing symlinks in /usr/lib.
15
16 In the stable tree sci-libs/atlas is the only atlas package available.
17 lapack-atlas is currently still masked, but the idea is to perform the
18 transition soon and phase out sci-libs/atlas.
19
20 Peter