From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Cc: fbissey@××××××××××××.nz
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] [patch] system-wide install of debug_gap.vim can not be overridden
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 08:31:34
1 Hi,
2
3 what do you think about completely dropping the file ?
4
5 On Tuesday 07 June 2011 06:37:51 fbissey@××××××××××××.nz wrote:
6 > Quoting P Purkayastha <ppurka@×××××.com>:
7 > > On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 03:18:51 +0800, Francois Bissey
8 > >
9 > > <fbissey@××××××××××××.nz> wrote:
10 > >>> Hi,
11 > >>>
12 > >>> I installed sage and also gap via the sage-for-gentoo overlay on a
13 > >>>
14 > >>> Gentoo linux system (64 bit installation). It turned out that gap
15 > >>> installed a plugin /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/plugin/gap_debug.vim where
16 > >>> some keybindings are defined to help debug gap programs.
17 > >>>
18 > >>> First, I think this file should go under
19 > >>> /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/ftplugin directory since it applies only to gap
20 > >>> files. Secondly, the files define some keybindings without allowing for
21 > >>> the user to override those keybindings in ~/.vimrc.
22 > >>>
23 > >>> I am attaching a patch which defines a global vim variable. If the user
24 > >>> sets that variable in ~/.vimrc, then this gap plugin will not be read.
25 > >>> This is one way I think the plugin can be made to not supersede user
26 > >>> settings.
27 > >>>
28 > >>> If there is some other way of overriding that plugin file, please let
29 > >>> me know.
30 > >>
31 > >> Hi,
32 > >>
33 > >> thanks for the info. It looks like you have found something that is
34 > >> installed
35 > >> by "automagic". Not being a fan of vi I don't have it installed and
36 > >> that vim
37 > >> file is not installed here. We may need to put it under useflag control.
38 > >> I think we may adopt your patch until someone more knowledgeable in vim
39 > >> tell us that's the wrong way of doing things.
40 > >>
41 > >> Francois
42 > >
43 > > Hi Francois,
44 > >
45 > > I am not surprised that the file debug_gap.vim is not installed in
46 > > your
47 > >
48 > > system. The installation of this file is handled by the vim-syntax
49 > > useflag. This useflag also handles the installation of other useful vim
50 > > files.
51 > >
52 > > One option would be to introduce the debug useflag for gap and install
53 > >
54 > > this debug_gap.vim file if both vim-syntax and debug flags are on. And,
55 > > during the src_prepare apply the patch to debug_gap.vim. I can provide
56 > > you an updated ebuild if you so desire.
57 >
58 > Hi,
59 >
60 > I need to take more care when I check the ebuilds before 8am. Yes of course
61 > there is a vim-syntax flag! I don't think we need to overcomplicate
62 > things with
63 > an extra debug flag. On the other hand being able to override the plugin is
64 > a very good idea. So unless something more refined can be done I think
65 > I'll just adopt your patch.
66 >
67 > Francois