From: Rafael Goncalves Martins <rafael@×××××××××××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] [GSoC] g-Octave - roadmap to 0.3
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 19:31:40
1 Hi guys,
2
3 g-Octave 0.2 was released, as early announced here by me, then is time to
4 start the work on the next version (0.3), although the tinderbox tests for the
5 new package database are still pending. The patches for individual packages can
6 be done in parallel with the g-Octave main development.
7
8 The next version will come with 3 main new features:
11 Support to optional logging
12 ---------------------------
13
14 I'm planning to use the 'logging' module, from the Python standard library in
15 order to implement this. The implementation will allow the user to enable or
16 disable the logging feature from the configuration file.
19 Support to package updates
20 --------------------------
21
22 g-Octave can't do package updates by now. All that the user can do is
23 reinstall the package manually when he knows that the package is updated by
24 the upstream.
25
26 The idea is to implement an g-octave CLI option that query the package manager
27 about upgrades in the installed packages and do the update for the user.
30 Support to Paludis/Pkgcore
31 --------------------------
32
33 g-Octave currently can only use emerge/portage to do the installation of
34 packages. Although g-Octave should keep using the portage API internally, the
35 users will be able choose one of the package manager frontends as they want.
36
37 When I say "portage API" I mean the support to colors on the CLI and the
38 stuff to do version comparations and create manifest files, basically. All
39 the great stuff, like overlay management, package masking and the package
40 installation itself will be done by the user's package manager of choice.
43 Some ideas and thoughts about that?
44
45 Thanks!
48 Rafael Goncalves Martins