From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] additional packages for sci-mathematics/geomview
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:54:46
1 On 30/03/14 11:45, grozin@g.o wrote:
2 > Hello *,
3 >
4 > Claus-Justus Heine <himself@××××××××××××××××××.de> has recently
5 > contributed an ebuild for the latest version of geomview plus 8 ebuilds
6 > for additional "emodules" which extend the functionality of geomview.
7 > They are rather small packages depending on geomview and sometimes on
8 > something else. I have committed the bumped geomview (after the
9 > necessary changes).
10 Hi,
11 and thanks for your contributions.
14 > What would be the best way to deal with these emodules?
15 > 1. Commit 8 new packages
16
17 I would go for this. In case of a change for any of the modules (bugfix
18 or so) you have the minimal rebuild for the user.
19
20 > 2. Add 8 USE flags to geomview, and buildinstall these emodules
21 > depending on the flags
22
23 You should avoid adding USE for the modules, as a change in the USE,
24 which should only pull in the new module from the separate package, will
25 also trigger a rebuilt of the whole application.
26
27 Best solution here is to take the middle. Add a USE minimal which is
28 default "+minimal" and add depend !minimal? ( .... ). That way you can
29 depend on all modules or none. And add a postinst message that tells the
30 user about the modules and which can be installed.
31 take a look at media-sound/guayadeque for an example.
32
33 Justin