From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Re: Scientific herd leadership
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:16:33
1 Olivier Fisette wrote:
2
3 >Familiarity with one or more scientific packages already in
4 >Portage, and willfulness to maintain them up-to-date and
5 >bug-free would be a plus. We currently have no maintainer for
6 >important packages such as GNU Octave, Maxima or the Staden
7 >Package. A problem I have with scientific software is that I
8 >find it hard to test when it applies to a field I am not
9 >familiar with. This is probably the case with everybody in the
10 >sci herd. ;-)
13 Well ... I don't use Octave, but I am learning how to use Maxima.
14 Maintaining the Maxima ebuild, on the other hand, is mostly knowing how
15 to deal with the Common Lisp Controller and the four flavors of Lisp
16 that will execute Maxima (most of the time -- check some of the bugs
17 I've filed :). That's the stuff I don't know.
18
19 >Since we have time constraints ourselves, we understand potential
20 >recruits may only have a few hours during one day of the week to
21 >do Gentoo development, and that is Ok. However, if you don't
22 >think you will be able to dedicate at least an hour or two a
23 >week on average, I am not sure it would be profitable to invest
24 >time and efforts in the mentoring process.
27 I probably spend at least that much time *testing* open source software
28 a week. Let's say half of Saturday for a start. But I test a variety of
29 stuff, not just science packages. How big of a leap is it from being a
30 hard-core beta tester like myself to actually maintaining a package?
31 --
32 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list