From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: Marco Clocchiatti <ziapannocchia@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] Re: new eclass to install R modules, such as Rcpp.
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 07:53:23
Hi Marco,

It looks like your eclass is downloading from CRAN in Rutils_src_compile(). For the sake of reproducible builds, ebuilds should use local files during the build: https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/index.html Is it possible to instruct R install.package() to "fetch only", or "print download URL"?
The -9999.ebuild has a special meaning of 'live' ebuild that the source is a version-controlled repository. The devmanual discuss the cvs case: https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/cvs-sources/index.html#disadvantages-of-cvs-sources CRAN is not a version-controlled repository. It's packages are versioned and released. Therefore I prefer creating versioned ebuilds to the live ones. Thanks for your eclass, it is a very neat write-up. Yours, Benda